From a young age, you knew that brushing your teeth was an important part of taking care of your hygiene, and your family dentist was the person who likely imparted you with that knowledge. Your dentist is the person who takes your oral hygiene seriously, even when you aren’t sure what to do. If you have not brushed or flossed, they are the people who are there to help get you back on track.
A great dentist is there to educate their patients while taking care of all critical aspects of their oral hygiene. Dentists train to take care of smiles, and when you are with your dentist, you should feel like that is what is happening. In recent years, the significance of oral hygiene seems to have been downplayed in favor of cosmetic dentistry, but that does not mean everyone can just stop brushing.
Dentists have a tough life. For many patients, having a dentist’s visit can be anxiety-causing. Allowing someone into your mouth with sharp objects takes a great deal of trust, and we know most people did not grow up next door to their dentist. Trusting a dentist with your oral hygiene is something many consider a brave feat. However, if you never find a dentist you can trust, it is likely you will see some serious oral health issues before you see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Oral health and hygiene are not unmanageable situations for anyone, but they do require a measure of discipline. Sitting on the couch and passing out is a great way to avoid brushing your teeth before bed, but the consequence of losing those teeth should be enough to motivate anyone. Sadly, that is not the case, otherwise dentists would never make dentures or dental implants for their patients. When we all brush and floss regularly, we keep our dentists happy.
Visiting a dentist is nothing to be afraid of, despite what many people believe. Historically, dentists can be portrayed as maniacal and judgemental, out to punish those who have treated their teeth badly. That is not the case 99.99% of the time. The other 0.01% of the time, you might be watching ‘Marathon Man.’ A dentist’s sole objective is to bring optimal oral health to their patients. Why would the patient assume anything less?
Some people have a phobia of dentists, but that is an irrational fear, which is why it’s called a ‘phobia.’ The only reason to fear the dentist is when you fear pain because you haven’t been taking care of your oral health. If your dentist finds cavities, visiting the dentist will hurt. Why? A cavity hurts. It’s not the dentist. It is the cavity you let yourself get. The dentist has to dig all the bad crap out of the hole in your tooth so they can fill it (fillings, ha) and it stops growing. Of course, if you have many cavities, a dentist visit will be extremely painful and could easily border on the level of traumatic for the patient if the pain is considerable enough. But remember: it’s better than having root canals and getting dentures.